After a long break we are proud to announce that our “Moanikeala Hula Festival” will be held again in our very own Hawaiʻi Village at the Polynesian Cultural Center, Lāʻie, Oʻahu. This celebration of the Hula is under the direction of Hawaiʻi Island manager Terry Na’auao Panee and revered kūpuna and 43 year Polynesian Cultural Center employee Ellen Gay Dela Rosa.
The annual Moanikeala Hula Festival “seeks to preserve, perpetuate, and celebrate all forms of Hula, while sharing the traditional storytelling and culture with both the people of Hawaiʻi, and our visitors from across the globe”.
This event is named after Sally Moanikeala Woods, a key figure in the development of the Hula on the North Shore.
Come join in the festivities, starting with music and hula in the Hukilau Marketplace Gazebo on Friday, Sept. 30th, followed by a spectacular afternoon of Hula in the Hawaiʻi Village on Saturday, Oct. 1st. There will also be some local vendors, ono local treats and poi sampling.
2022 Moanikeala Hula Festival Schedule of Events:
Sept. 30, Hukilau Marketplace, 5:30-7P
- Ka LeiʻAliʻi, and Kamuela & Kaʻihi Kimokeo
Oct. 1, Hawaiʻi Village, 1-5:30P
- Halau Lilia Makanoe (Kumu Hula Shelsea Ai)
- Halau I Ka Lima Kuhi Lani (Kumu Hula Kuhi Suganuma Southard)
- Halau O Na Pua Kukui (Kumu Hula Ed Collier)
- Napuananionapalionako’olau (Kumu Hula Sunday Mariteragi)
- Kawaipuhilani (Kumu Hula Keith Awai)
- Halau O Kekela (Kumu Hula Kela Miller)
- Halau Kawaiulaokala (Kumu Hula Keli’i Puchalski)